Legacy

Legacy

200 years from Hindoo College to Deccan College

6th October 1821

Hindoo College

Started by Mountstuart Elphinstone Governor, Bombay Presidency at Vishrambag Wada

7th June 1851

Poona Sanskrit College

Hindoo College and Government English School merged together and renamed as Poona Sanskrit College

15th October 1864

Deccan College

The construction of new building started & the college was renamed as Deccan College. The foundation stone of it was laid by Sir Henry Bartle Edward Frere, Governor of Bombay. From 1863 to 1868 college was run from Wanowari.

23th March 1868

Shifted to New Campus

The college was shifted to the new campus covering an area of 115 acres near Yerawada in newly constructed Neogothic Architecture style building, which was build from the donation of a munificent grant of Rupees One lakh received from Sir Jamsetjee Jejeebhoy.

1934

Temporary Shutdown
(Deemed University)

The college was temporarily shutdown by the british Government due to bad financial conditions and less intake of students

17th August 1939

Deccan College Post Graduate & Research Institute

With the efforts of past student the college was revived and renamed as Deccan College Post Graduate & Research Institute

5th March 1990

Deccan College Post Graduate & Research Institute (Deemed University)

The HRD Ministry awarded it the status of a Deemed University